Monday, December 25, 2006

A Moment of Silence



A moment please
to honour the passing of the Godfather of Soul.

He has been hugely influencial in the development of my performance. When we were asked to prepare a lip-syncing performance in our solo performance class at the National High School Institute at Northwestern (performance performance performance), I chose James Brown's "I'll Go Crazy" (by the by, the teacher said I did a fairly good rendition of a large black man, being a skinny white girl) That's where it all began. He was also the first artist to incite me to ask the question "Does an artist need to be a model citizen?". In his case, I love him in spite of his shinanigans. He gives plenty to the betterment of society in his music. (Brittany Spears might be another case) Perhaps it's due time I should tackle that tribute I've been wanting to do...

RIP, James.

No comments: